My pearls are so precious to me, that's why I take care of them. The tips below will show how to take good care of your pearls.
Even cultured pearl with thicker coatings are more fragile than most other gemstones, so you must handle them carefully to keep them in the best condition.
- Your pearls will stay cleaner if you put them on after you've applied your makeup and perfume.
- Be sure to take off your pearl rings before you apply hand and body creams.
- Wipe your pearls with a soft, lint-free cloth as soon as you take them off. The cloth can be dampened with water or it can be dry. If damp, allow the pearls to air dry before putting them away.
- Dirty pearls can be cleaned with a mild soap and water solution (try Ivory flakes).
- Never clean your pearls with solutions that contain ammonia or harsh detergents.
- Don't put pearl jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner.
- Don't use abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with abrasive cloth. Both can wear away the nacre coating, leaving you with a plain looking bead.
Storing PearlsDon't store your pearls with other jewelry, because they can be scratched easily when metal or gemstones rub against them. Find a special slot in your jewelry box for the pearls, or keep them in a soft bag made from chamois or another non-abrasive material.
Your fine pearl necklaces should be restrung periodically so that you're sure the silk or nylon cord holding them is in good shape.